Powered by Blogger.

My First Solo Camping Trip.

Even with the car packed up I had my doubts about actually going. But I'd told so many people about it, that I kind of felt like I had to regardless of my own head.
200 miles is a long way from home to ask for help and anything could have gone wrong.
But, On Sunday the 23rd of April I managed to hit the road and head south to St Leonard's in Bournemouth.
I arrived around about 12:30-13:00 and checked in. The owners were amazing and even popped over to help after explaining that I had never put the tent up before, but I managed it.
I'm not saying it was right, but it was up and it stayed up.


After getting the tent up on Sunday I travelled to Southampton to watch the Southampton Mustangs play baseball which is the only thing and the most important thing I wanted to do and yet I chickened. out. I got to the car park fine but their were loads of people there and I just couldn't get my feet to walk over and plonk my ass down.
I went back and had an early-ish night after have tea... twice.
I had a camper van in the plot behind me and two caravans in my field both at the opposite end with me in the middle and during the day I felt conscious. However I did stop and speak to one couple and their dog Lottie for a little while and they were amazing.

After a cold night, but not freezing I got up Monday and drove to Southbourne Beach in Bournemouth. My intent was to just walk to Boscome beach... but 2 hours later I'd gone further and for longer in search for their Harry Ramsdens there. Because let's face it if you're British and by the sea, fish & chips are standard procedure. I also needed to relax my legs too.
Then I had the joy of walking back with my legs burning and my feet collecting blisters. But it was nothing a paddle in the sea couldn't solve.

Back at the tent, knowing that the night was going to drop chilly I snuggled down earlier in the hopes of missing the chill so to speak. I woke up a few times with the wind but other than that it was nothing really. However the caravans and the camper had gone home so I was completely alone! You don't think of the night during the day!

Tuesday I got up and headed to Burley, famous for it's white witch, Sybil.
I popped in to 'The Coven of Witches' store and got a few more crystals, then down to Burley fudge for well, fudge! and the kind gentleman there helped me out with a decent tea room which I stopped at for a coffee and lasagna called The Old Farmhouse. They were so nice and the lasagna stuffed me!
I wasn't there nearly as long as I had intended but the fact I took 3 wrong turns getting there almost made it worth while to prolong the day.
When I got back I made a call to my dad who I think was one more day away from having a heart attack just for being away alone and he kind of coaxed me in to going home.

I had booked until Wednesday morning but I didn't see the point in waking up just to pack up and leave, so had planned to leave Tuesday night... but I left about 2pm.
After a couple of coffee/call breaks,a detour around an accident and the actual 3-4 hour trip... I made it leisurely back home around 8pm, through rain and thunder.

My feet and legs are still killing me BUT I would happily do it again. Yes I felt lonely at times but reality sucks a whoooole lot More than that!

No comments